Location of the village
Dolná Súča is located in the Moravian-Slovak borderland. Its part is also the orthographical unit of the White Carpathians with the frontier between the Slovak and the Czech Republic. Area of the village lies in the Valley of Súča and the Uplands of Súča, in the District of Trenčín. The village lies 9 km from the city of Trenčín. The midpoint on the square lies at an altitude of 285 m. The highest point of the village area is Krásin, the limestone mountain at an altitude of 516 m, which looms majestically above the village. Dolná Súča is one of the largest villages in the District of Trenčín with the area of 2635 ha.
Territorial nature protection in the village
Territorial nature protection involves the nature and landscape protection and restrictions of interventions that can damage living conditions and life forms, natural heritage, characteristic landscape features and decrease ecological stability.The territorial protection specifies five levels of protection.
The 1st level of protection is valid generally in most parts of the village. It is the territory out of specially designated protected areas. The 2nd level of protection is valid in significant parts of forest, since it belongs to Protected Landscape Area of White Carpathians. Strict rules are valid here according to Act No.543/2002 Coll.Even stricter rules are valid in smaller protected areas belonging to the 3rd and 4th level of protection. These can be found in Nature Reserve of Krásin and Natural Monument of the Súčanka. In both areas the 4th level of protection is valid.
Nature Reserve of Krásin
Year of declaration: 1971
Area: 27,16 ha
Nature Reserve of Krásin comprises the mountain upon the village and it's also its main symbol. Geologically it's formed by limestone including many fossils like molluscs, ammonites and sea urchins. Its altitude is 516 m. Warm grass and rocky hillsides createoptimal conditions for rare and endangered species of plants and animals. Today its western part is covered with forest including mainly field maple, small leaved lime, common beech, common hazel etc. Rare non-forest communities can be found on the eastern side of the mountain. Today the rare plant species are endangered by undesirable species like the bushes of hawthorn, wild brier, hazel etc.
Therefore the plan of measures necessary for protection of Krásin´s gene pool was proposed. Because of presence of important animal species, area was included into the List of Sites of Community Importance NATURA 2000.
Protected sites of NATURA 2000
It's a title for a network of protected sites of the European Union member states. The main reason for establishment of the network is an effort to maintain European natural heritage. By means of the NATURA 2000 network of protected sites, the protection of the most rare and endangered wild flora, wild fauna species and natural habitats within the area of the European Union should be provided. Through the protection of the species and habitats of European importance, EU biodiversity should be maintained.
Site of Community Importance (SCI) Krásin is the area of 63, 92 ha and it partly overlaps the Nature Reserve Krásin (27,16 ha). It was declared in 1971 with the aim to maintain the limestone mountain which is a rare paleontological locality.
History of Dolná Súča
Archeological findings – ceramic shards, bones and various fragments - are from the Middle and Early Bronze Age (1500 – 1700 BC). Museum curator JožaMádl presented evidence that area of the village was inhabited by Lusatians.
The oldest written references to the village Dolná Súča was found in a document of1215 – Tomáš, the ruler of Nitra, mentioned the land of Sucza and a castle also called Sucza. Dolná Súča belonged to this castle from its beginning. The oldest document in which HornáSúča and Dolná Súča are mentioned separately is from 11 June, 1439.
Ján and Rafael Podmanickí, also called robber knights, were associated with important part of the village´s history. After Rafael´s death, all villages of Súča Castle were integrated into Trenčín Domain. In the 16 th century, ŠtefanIlešházi became the owner of the Trenčín Domain including Dolná Súča, which was the beginning of a 241-year-long famous era of Ilešházi'sownerhip.
Abolition of serfdom in 1848 brought the end of the village dependence on the Trenčín Domain. In 1850 the area of Dolná Súča was measured and the maps of the land area and forests, which actually have not been changed up to now, were drawn up.
People in Dolná Súča mostly made their living at peasantry. Forests were deracinated and wheat, barley, oat, hemp etc. were grown. Sheep, goats, cows, horses and poultry were bred. There was a brewery, mills, distillery and a cloth fulling mill. Life of people in Dolná Súča was not easy at the end of the 19 th century. However, trying to cope with hard natural and economic conditions taught them how to be self-sufficient.
The most people living in Dolná Súča are Roman-Catholics. The Church of St. Elisabeth of Hungary is the oldest monument in the village, documented already in the first half of the 16 th century. The church was wooden except for the sanctuary. In 1754 it burnt down and in 1756 it was rebuilt from a hard material. The church was built in a baroque style, adapted classicistically. The church is consecrated to Saint Elisabeth of Hungary. There is a parochial office in the village and parish includes also thepart Hrabovka.
One of the monuments is a Chapel of Virgin Mary of Lourdes. It was built in 1889 near the spring “Tri žriedla”.
Blazon of Dolná Súča
In a blazon of the village there isa silver tree with golden leaves grown on the golden hill in a blue shield, accompanied by celestial bodies of a half moon and a star.Underneath there are silver ploughshares with their spikes in a downward direction. The oldest known means of payment in the village was probably used in 1543. Evidence can be found in the document of 1688 with the seal inscription saying: + SIGILVM + PAGI + MAIOR + SVCZA + 1543 +
The village of Dolná Súča is still developing and in 2013 the population surpassed 3000 people. The village includes also two settlements – Polníky and Repákovci. The facilities in the village are of a high standard. There are a duct and a gas line. Services provided include complex health care for children and adults, groceries, hairdresser´s, dressmaker´s, furrier´s shop, post office and library with Internet connection. Kindergarten, primary school, tennis court, football pitch with artificial surface and sports area in Závodie are also available. Agricultural cooperative in the village also has a long-time tradition.
Some social organizations are active in sport and culture life of the village.The care for elderly people is provided by Nursing Home. For cultural purposes there is a common room, theatre room and club room of Culture House. These rooms are used year-round for cultural events and brass bands´ and other village groups´rehearsals.
Dolná Súča is famous for its brass band music with over a 160-year tradition. Nowadays there are four village brass bands. The village of Dolná Súča with its long-time music tradition takes one of the leading roles in Trenčín District.